Everyone should know about Oral Thrush Home Remedies. In every human body, a fungus named Candida albicans is found that helps in the absorption of nutrients.
However, this fungus may be present in our body in a larger amount, more than the desired level. In such a case, many complications occur and oral thrush is one such disease. Since it has occurred due to Candida albicans, it is also known as oral candidiasis or oropharyngeal candidiasis.
It may also occur due to a weak immune system, or intake of some antibiotics, or hormonal imbalances, or diabetes.
To know that you are suffering from oral thrush, you may notice a whitish creamy coating over your tongue, oral inflammation, difficulty in swallowing, tastelessness, or formation of oral mucous.
Now, this can be treated at home. There are various oral thrush home remedies and let us have a look at some of them.
How to detect Oral Thrush
Oral thrush is accompanied by a broad spectrum of symptoms and is usually self-diagnosable, although the duration and severity vary.
Some common symptoms of oral thrush are :
- The appearance of white lesions that resembles cottage cheese on the tongue, inner cheeks, gums, and tonsils.
- Mouth redness and soreness.
- Mouth bleeding.
- Bad breath and dryness.
- Abnormality of taste.
- Difficulty in swallowing foods.
Some of the oral thrush home remedies are as follows:
Apple Cider Vinegar
People with dentures are more likely to have oral thrush as it is not always possible to clean them every time you eat something. Such conditions eventually lead to an environment where Candida can thrive well.
Apple Cider Vinegar is one such oral thrush home remedy that has good antibacterial properties and helps to heal such infections. Doctors often recommend using undiluted apple cider vinegar for those who have severe infections.
Steps to use:
- Take a cup of water and add 1tsp of raw apple cider vinegar to it
- Then take the solution into your mouth and rinse it for a good 15-20 seconds
Everyone knows that lemon juice works wonders against infections. It has antifungal properties that help fight thrush and is also one of the most helpful oral thrush home remedies that people have been using for ages. Its acidic nature helps to wash out the candida fungus.
Steps to use:
- Take a cup of warm or cold water and squeeze the juice of half a lemon and mix it well
- Then, you can either drink the mixture or use it to rinse your mouth properly
You can also apply the lemon juice directly into the mouth but it might cause a lot of pain and burning sensation because of its acidic properties.
If you’re looking for a quick oral thrush home remedy to suppress the symptoms then washing your mouth with sodium bicarbonate i.e. baking soda can be really very helpful. It helps to stop the growth of the fungus and maintains the pH balance.
Steps to use:
- Take 1 or 2 tsp of baking soda and mix it well with water. It must look like a thick paste
- Take a cotton ball and apply it in your tongue and the areas that have the infection
- Keep it for a few minutes
- Wash off your mouth with warm water
Apply this home remedy for at least 2-3 times a week to get good results.
Yogurt can be a very effective home remedy to get relief from your oral thrush. Yogurt boosts the production of probiotics in your body which further enhances the production of “good bacterias”. These healthy bacterias have been proved very effective against oral thrush.
Although the bacteria culture doesn’t kill “Candida”, the bacteria that cause the oral thrush, but, it stops its growth. The production of this healthy culture also restores the proper balance of “good” and “bad” bacterias in the body.
Oral thrush causes painful throat and mouth lessons which makes it difficult to swallow food. In that condition also, we can consume yogurt, since it is soft and easy to swallow.
Instructions to use:
Start eating yogurt at least 3 times a day at the first sign of oral thrush.
Since candida thrives on sugar, you should stick on unsweetened yogurt.
Proactive supplements can be an alternative to yogurt for all lactose-intolerant people.
We all know turmeric is one of the most famous Asian culinary spices, it is used to prepare some of the most delicious delicacies, but what the majority of the people don’t know is, turmeric can be used against a large variety of fungal infections and boasts some surprising properties.
Curcumin is a powerful compound that gives turmeric its yellow color and has anti-inflammatory abilities. In 2010 a special study was conducted on mice which established the fact that curcumin treats oral thrush.
It’s effective on both Albicans and non-albicans species of Candida, especially when combined with piperine, a compound found in black peppers. This is a very competent oral thrush home remedy.
Instructions to use:
- Prepare “golden milk” by adding a quarter to half teaspoon turmeric paste and a dash of black pepper in a glass of milk.
- Warm it in a saucepan or any other utensil.
- Try to swish the milk throughout your mouth as you drink it.
Oregano Oil is primarily used as a food flavoring agent, but also acts effectively against microbial and fungal diseases.
These special abilities are largely attributed to the high content of phenolic derivatives such as carvacrol and thymol present in oregano oil. Studies conducted on mice and in-vitro have proved oregano oil to be effective against Candida albicans.
Instructions to use:
- Prepare a solution by combining 2 drops of oregano oil in 1 cup of water.
- Take some amount in your mouth and swish it throughout.
- Spit out the solution.
- Repeat the process.
Start doing this at least 2 times a day and you will notice changes. It is recommended not to use undiluted oregano oil orally or directly on the affected area.
Vitamin C deficiency is a major factor of oral thrush, alongside taking antibiotics, poor oral hygiene, and wearing dentures.
Vitamin C encourages the production of white blood cells which is a necessary element to maintain proper immune functions and protect your body against infections.
It also compels these cells to function effectively against harmful molecules and ensures the normal functioning of the body.
Increasing your consumption of vitamin C if you’re deficient may help boost your body’s ability to beat the oral thrush infection.
You can increase your body’s vitamin C level by consuming a sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables, particularly spinach, cabbage, broccoli, turnip, red and green peppers, Brussel sprouts, and winter squash, or you can also take reliable and healthy vitamin C supplements.
Using warm salt water can be one of the simplest and easiest oral thrush home remedies. We all use salt for our cooking purposes. Besides adding flavor to the food, salt also has several features.
It can also act as an antiseptic. It can be used for sanitation and cleansing. Thus, salt can be used as a remedy for several mouth infections.
Now, how to use salt as a remedy for oral thrush?
- Mix 2.5 ml or ½ teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water. Stir it well so that the salt dissolves nicely in the water.
- Now, swish the salt solution nicely all over your mouth.
- Finally, spit it out.
Gentian Violet is an antiseptic violet-colored dye that is used mainly for treating fungal infections and skin diseases.
It has anti-bacterial as well as anti-fungal properties and research has shown that using this dye results in a drastic decrease of fungal activity on the applied part.
It is available in the market in the form of one or two percent solution. Apply this solution in the infected portion of your mouth. Take the help of a cotton swab to apply it. Use this solution for two-three times per day.
Clove oil, extracted from the clove trees, Syzygium aromaticum has been one of the oldest oral thrush home remedies. Among its various properties, it has antimicrobial, antifungal, and pain-relieving properties thus are very helpful for treating oral thrush.
Eugenol, one of the main components present in clove oil has an antifungal effect and is effective in the treatment of this disorder.
Follow these steps to know how to use clove oil as a remedy for oral thrush:
- You can take one teaspoon of whole ground cloves and mix it well for five minutes in one cup of warm water.
- Now, after it has been dissolved, keep the liquid portion of the solution and strain the rest of the part.
- Now, swish the solution nicely all over your mouth.
- Finally, spit it out.
Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut oil pulling is another effective oral thrush home remedy. To make this mixture, you will need two things – coconut oil and clove oil. Now, let us have a look at how to make this solution and use it as a remedy for your thrush.
- You have to take one teaspoon of coconut oil and three drops of clove oil.
- Now, you have to mix the two well until it takes the form of a creamy solution.
- Swish this solution all over your mouth, especially over the infected parts for ten minutes.
- Finally, spit it out and wash your mouth with clean water.
You can make a homemade mouthwash that can act as one of the best oral thrush home remedies. Follow the below-mentioned steps to know in detail about the procedure.
- Take a glass container and add two-teaspoon salt in it.
- After adding the salt, you have to add two drops of clove oil, two drops of tea tree oil, and one drop of oregano oil. Make sure the oils are distilled and organic.
- Finally, add one cup of warm water and mix them well.
- Finally, the salt will dissolve and your mouthwash is ready.
All these above remedies can relieve the symptoms and stop the growth to some extent but they won’t be enough to cure the Oral thrush. You’ll still need some antifungal to get rid of the bacteria entirely.
Home remedies are meant to only support and act as a catalyst to antifungal medications and not to replace them. If the condition gets serious you should definitely seek medical help.
Once you have eliminated the Candida fungus, to avoid reinfection you should follow proper oral hygiene techniques.
Brush and floss your teeth twice daily, once in the morning before breakfast, and once in the night before going to bed, and if possible replace your toothbrush at regular intervals.
To help keep Candida fungus from relocating to your mouth or any other part of your body, follow these tips:
- If you use a corticosteroid inhaler, make sure to wash your mouth thoroughly.
- Try to keep your dentures clean.
- If you have diabetes, try to curb down your blood sugar level.
- Do not make any delay to treat your vaginal yeast infection, especially if you are pregnant.
And as the saying goes “prevention is better than cure”, you should maintain proper oral hygiene to avoid Oral thrush in the first place.
- How to get rid of oral thrush in a faster way?
To get rid of oral thrush more quickly and effectively you do not have to take medicines for that you can apply certain home remedies to remove them.
For example, rinsing your mouth with salt water is an effective way of lowering the infection. You can also have yogurt that has less sugar content in it.
- How long does it take to get rid of oral thrush without any kind of treatment?
Oral thrush remains for 3-8 weeks without any kind of treatment. But it is recommended that one must opt for some kind of home remedies if not taking medication.
- What is the main reason that causes oral thrush?
Having Candida, the bacteria that causes oral thrush is very common between both the adults and infants. But, the problem arises when the growth of this bacteria increases.
It tends to form creamy white layers all over the tongue, throat, and esophagus.
- How to get rid of oral thrush naturally?
The process of getting rid of the oral thrush naturally is very simple and effective. It can be done with ingredients that are already there in your home.
For example – gargling with salt water can help to fight oral thrush, unsweetened yogurt is also very helpful in maintaining “good bacteria” in your mouth.
Rinsing your mouth with apple cider vinegar or baking soda is also a useful method for fighting oral thrush
- How many times a week can I apply the home remedies?
Every home remedy that is mentioned above should be practiced 4-5 times a week to get effective results.
Oral Thrush Home Remedies Video Tutorial:
YouTube Channel: FindaTopDoc Media